naomi's sushi cakes. So I figured since green tea is very Japanese I would attempt a green tea cake with green tea buttercream and then cover with fondant.
Green Tea “Matcha” Cupcakes
1/2 sheet pan / 350 degree oven
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons matcha
1. Prepare sheet pan by rubbing with butter, covering with parchment, rubbing with more butter, and dusting with flour.
2. Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
3. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4. Add eggs/egg yolks one at a time, beat for 30 seconds between each.
5. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add to batter and mix to combine.
6. Mix matcha in with the milk. Add to the batter and mix until combine.
7. Pour into prepared 1/2 sheet pan and smooth flat.
8. Bake for 22-25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
Matcha Buttercream Frosting
1 stick butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons half and half or light cream
1 tablespoon matcha powder
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Mix matcha in with the light cream to make a paste.. Beat butter briefly, scrape bowl.. Add the sifted powdered sugar and matcha paste. Beat until smooth