I just finished this quilt from my old sorority T-shirts.....again....for the second time.
When I first made this quilt I was a definite novice I had never made a quilt and didn't own a sewing machine. I sewed everything by hand (which is impressive since it is a queen size quilt) but I didn't realize some of the things you should do when working with stretch type material (ie. Shirts).
I didn't back them with any interfacing. Needless to say the quilt was quite stretchy. I also don't know why I choose the fabric I did to block out the shirt squares, It is a very thin almost see through organza type material that I actually doubled to make it NOT see through. Plus this is my sorority quilt and our colors were wine and silver blue I don't know why I choose purple.
So I went searching for some tutorials on shirt quilts and came up with some great ones, I especially loved this one and this one so I went and got about 4 yards of Pellon Fusible Interfacing 906F and chopped up the quilt (I did manange to salvage the batting inside and reused it for the center of the quilt though)
Since I was repurposing the shirts from the other quilt they dimension I had cut the T-shirts into limited the shapes and sizes I had to work with so I used some left over red cordouroy for the spacer blocks and tried to do an every other alternating look between the small rectangles and the large blocks.